I hadn’t planned to write another end of the year flavored post, but Charlotte Dixon, AKA the Word Strumpet, inspired me to take some time to review my writing journey over the past year. She listed out thirty questions covering three different areas: writing, motivation, and marketing. Not all of the questions fit my writing life, so I combined some and selected the ones that really stood out to me.
1. What was the best thing that happened with my writing?
I was able to open up, settle down and write my first complete novel. Once the words started pouring from me and I knew how it was going to end, it almost took my breath away. I knew in that moment this was really going to happen.
2. What did I learn about my writing?
I have to do it every day. Even if it’s just a few random sentences in my journal. Writing heals and energizes me. It keeps me sane and moving forward.
3. What experiences inspired me this year?
- Morning walks to school with C.
- Sitting on my parents’ veranda in the Idaho mountains.
- My dad’s amazing stories of real life encounters with wildlife.
- My friends’ newborn baby.
- Witnessing my grandpa get remarried this fall.
4. What books inspired me?
- The Witness by Nora Roberts
- All the Summer Girls by Meg Donohue
- Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
- The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer
5. What blogs inspired me?
Tammy Stroebel’s Rowdy Kittens. Her photos, writing, and way of life emulate how I would like to live. She finds so much beauty in simple things and has a lifestyle I long to embrace (and am able to to a certain extent).